Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Policy types

2009-07-27 16:49:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Policy types
From: nburridge <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:46:39 -0400
I support one policy one client for our environment.  Our environment is very
dynamic, and policies require suspension and modification freqeuntly where it
would be difficult to manage if we have to suspend the bakcups for the client
that was in a policy with other clients.  We also have many special request
backups that need to be documented.

As for setting the maximum number of jobs for a client, that won't work in all
cases and needs it requires carefull tracking.  My example is an Oracle server
which only needs the DB backup supsended, but the OS backup can continue.

If you environment is very static/passive, then grouping clients into a few
policies would work well for you.  If your enviorment is very dynamic with many
modifications or you have multiple administrators, then I believe one policy
one client would work better for you.