Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Which media to load?

2009-07-13 11:52:28
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Which media to load?
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:49:18 -0500
On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Martin, Jonathan <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com> wrote:

I've got a user running his own restores who is insistent that Netbackup
should tell him which media to load when he runs a restore and the media
is not available in the library. He insists that the old version of
Netbackup he used to run (before my group took over responsibility) used
to notify him. I thinks its inconsequential what an older version of
Netbackup did, we're now running 6.0 on Windows 2003 and it provides
that silly message about "if" the media is not in the drive you may have
to load.

Before I create a rule moving all received messages from this particular
persistent user into the Deleted Items folder, does anyone know of any
script or checkbox in NBU 6.0 MP4 on Windows 2003 that would give an end
user some sort of notification that they need to go load a media? I've
already spent more time on this fool's errand than I would have liked
and something easy I could throw at him would probably save me 20 more
emails back and forth.

There are 2 ways to do this:

1.  Having NOM notify you of pending mount requests
2.  Run a script on the master to notify you

IMO, notification should never go to the end user - they should go to the backup operators.

We actually have both 1 & 2 implemented.  Our master is not Windows so unless you're running Cygwin, our script won't do you much good but it basically does a 'vmoprcmd -dp pr' and parses the output looking for pending requests.

The problem is non-trivial because although you may get notified of a single mount request, the actual job may need multiple tapes (and DSSU-based images) so you need to search for them all.
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org