Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape Drive Statistics

2009-07-10 10:59:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape Drive Statistics
From: Heathe Kyle Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:53:59 -0500
Hello group,

I am trying to performance tune a new library I installed. I have the
performance tuning guide and I'm looking at my data path. I currently
have statistics on my tape drive (from the libraries point of view),
stats from my SAN switch, and stats from my LAN. I'm watching iostat for
the disk that I'm writing to, but I'd like to see the performance of my
tape drive from my Master server's point of view. I don't believe iostat
accepts tape drives. How do you measure tape drives statistics in
Unix/Linux (specifically RHEL).

On a side note, I'm reading up on how to tune SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS and
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS. If I'm watching statistics in real time for my
performance tuning backups and restores, can I change these values in
real time without having to restart Netbackup (or any of my
master/media/clients) and see the results take affect, or do I have to
restart services for the new values to take effect? Anyone have tips on
how to tune these values?

Thank you.

- Heathe Kyle Yeakley