Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5 upgrade qs

2009-07-10 09:52:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5 upgrade qs
From: tsimerson <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:49:44 -0400
One thing to keep in mind that it is critical to go through the steps of
running catalog consistency tests.  I had tons of problems with this (100+ GB
catalog space).  And never got the catalog into a state that we could actually
upgrade our 5.1 MP7 in place.  It would have taken us an estimate 4 - 5 days of
downtime to actually complete the upgrade.  The catch was having to go through
Symantec support to check and fix any catalog inconsistencies.  That was a
tedious process (run the test, send the output, receive a fix file, run the fix
file, repeat, repeat, repeat).  Every time I would get to a consistent state, I
ran out of my upgrade window.

I ended up creating a new environment running NBU 6.5.3 and migrating media
servers and clients over.  I'm just now finishing that up after 8 weeks of
effort.  Should be done by the end of this month.  Oh, and I've been
consolidating the long retention period data on the 5.1 environment to tapes
that I can then import into the 6.5 environment.