Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Data Domain vs Quantum DXi

2008-11-20 14:21:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain vs Quantum DXi
From: softwhere <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:50:25 -0500

Stafford, Geoff wrote:

> > > Agreed, but wait til they release 10 Gb.  Also, OST doesn't limit you

> LAN speeds -- DD's implementation of it does.  Ask Quantum about theirs.
> (I don't know what it does as it's not shipping yet.)
>
> -- True, most, if not all, of the players are working on 10Gb.  Would be
> nice if the EMC/Quantum "partnership" would result in being able to
> fiber attach the disk and bypass the LAN altogether.  NAS/CIFS sucks for
> any backup you actually care about throughput on IMHO.
>

> > > NO THEY DON'T.  The REAL story is that Quantum (who at the time didn't
> > >

> HAVE a shipping dedupe product) waited until DD was about to go public
> and hit them with a "your stuff looks like it violates our patent"
> lawsuit.  DD thought the suit was BS, but they needed it to go away as
> they were going public.  They settled out of court for some change in
> the millions to make it go away.  There isn't a single line of shared
> code between the two, neither is borrowing from the other, etc.
>
> Anybody from Quantum who is telling you that DD is licensing their code
> is speaking complete falsehood.  They're probably not lieing, as that
> would imply that they know the truth.  It's a urban legend that too many
> believe.
>
> --It's a variable length block size deduplication algorithm, the math is
> above my pay grade but there's probably only so many ways you can do it
> efficiently and apparently Riverbed thought it was bs and wanted it to
> go away too.  :)  No one from any company has ever told me there was
> shared code, I was simply working on the KISS principle in my previous
> email and not trying to spend 10 paragraphs explaining it hence the
> "short version of the story" comment.  :)
>

> > > Remember that just because you have the capacity doesn't mean you can
> > >

> use it.  DD stops their boxes at certain capacities because most
> customers run out of bandwidth before they run out of space.
>
> --Depends on how you want to use it and how long you plan on retaining
> data on disk.  YMMV
>

> > > Agreed, but that functionality is supposed to ship RSN.  And Quantum,
> > >

> AFAICT, hasn't shipped it either.  It's in the code but hasn't shipped.
>
> --At what cost for the functionality on the Data Domain side?  I never
> got a straight answer how it was going to work.  Again, don't have the
> numbers in front of me but I believe even a single 7500 will ingest
> faster than a single 690...definitely the 580.
>

> > > Yes they do.  Everybody but NetApp has RAID6.  And dedupe on RAID5 is
> > >

> just insanity, IMHO.
>
> --  Quantum may have added it to the 9TB 7500 but last I checked they
> were not shipping RAID 6.

> addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the
> system manager. This message contains confidential information and is
> intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named
> addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
>

> Barclays             www.barclaycardus.com

> [...]

Thats funny Geoff,
How in depth could your review have been since you did not mention one thing
specifically that you observed that made one better then the other?

In fact it sounds like you don't even know what you bought and when questioned
about it you start attacking Curtis' integrity on the issue.

It looks like you bought off of ppt, promises, price and a friendly handshake,
none of which = as you state "in depth review". You are doing this community a
disservice by portraying yourself as someone that has reviewed both of these
technologies when in fact all you did is come on here and spread some of the
same falsehoods as your favorite Quantum rep likes to do.

Maybe if you listened to experts like Curtis and others and actually took the
time to put the technologies, whether it be EMC, NetApp, Data domain, Quantum
or others, through its paces in your environment with your particular use-case,
you would then have some "real" information to share with the readers of this
forum.  Maybe Barclays can afford to make technology purchases in this manner,
but most organizations, mine included, require to have a "true" in depth look
at the technologies, often refferred to as a POC, before making a major
purchase like this. After all, these are lean times.