Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] SAN only communication between a client and a media server ?

2008-11-10 20:50:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] SAN only communication between a client and a media server ?
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:10:28 +1100
As far as I understand it, the "SAN client" is a way for a client to send data to a media server over the SAN, without having direct connectivity to a tape drive. The media server needs to have a FC HBA in target mode to receive the data from the client, and another in initiator mode talking to a tape drive (or disk). The SAN client has it's HBA in initiator mode, and sends it's data across the SAN to the media server, which then writes it out to tape.

Just like a LAN based backup, where the client sends the data to a media server, except the data is sent across FC.

I can't see how VxFS or VxVM is relevant at all.

I've been struggling to work out all the latest terminology, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

- Dean