Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] bpduplicate disk => tape. Can running backup and duplicate share the tape?

2008-03-26 18:54:52
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] bpduplicate disk => tape. Can running backup and duplicate share the tape?
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: Andrey Halezov <andrey.halezov AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:44:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Andrey Halezov wrote:

> Justin,
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> I have available tapes (I rerun "available_media" each time
> bpduplicate failed ).
>
> xbpmon JobMonitor GUI shows currently running backup job, which
> explains why NetBackup can't mount the new tape (I only have one tape
> drive). I am trying to understand why backup and duplicate can't share
> the same tape?
>
> Thank you,
> Andrey

If you search this list someone did report backing up to a disk storage unit
and tape at the same time, but you need to use in-line tape copy to do this.
.. (and also the license for it)

As for as doing a bpduplicate job while a backup is running when the only
drive available is being used, I have not tried doing it in that scenario.
Also NetBackup 3.x?? Did you plan on upgrading anytime soon? :-)

I see what you want to do.

Regular backups -------> MPX1 -----> TAPE
                 \------> MPX2 -----> TAPE
                 /------> MPX3 -----> TAPE
Duplicate from /-------> MPX4 -----> TAPE
Disk

However, I have not tried this, anyone else on the list try this with
one one tape drive available?

He wants to multiplex a duplicate job from disk -> tape while other jobs
are running to that tape as well.

Justin.