Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Lets hear about your upgrade experience! 5.x - 6.5

2008-03-12 12:18:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Lets hear about your upgrade experience! 5.x - 6.5
From: "Tony T." <rollthebones AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:39:27 -0500

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:33 AM, WEAVER, Simon (external) <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net> wrote:
not sure I would agree - it seems that going from 5.1 to 6.5 or even 6.5.1 should be the easier upgrade path.
maybe careful planning is the key?

Honestly, I don't know how much more we could have planned/prepared.  We went through the upgrade document at Symantec with a fine tooth comb;  not one step was done flippantly, out of order  or skipped.  We ran the NBCC right before we started and had Symantec look at the output and address any inconsistencies, even got the go ahead from them that "Your upgrade can now proceed".

The problem was just about every step listed in that doc produced unexpected results; either the box would just sit there doing nothing, or it would come back with some error that was not addressed in the upgrade guide and had to be sent to Symantec.

I will think twice about ever reccomending an in place upgrade again.