Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Lets hear about your upgrade experience! 5.x - 6.5

2008-03-04 15:15:31
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Lets hear about your upgrade experience! 5.x - 6.5
From: "Kevin Whittaker" <Kevin.Whittaker AT syniverse DOT com>
To: "WEAVER, Simon (external)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>, "Tony T." <rollthebones AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:37:41 -0500
I upgraded from 5.1 to 6.5 in Oct 2007.  It was a very smooth update that worked really well.

I did all my prework and made sure that my catalog was in sync.  I had no bad tape entries in the database.

I also upgraded my WHOLE environment in a 12 hour window.  I started with my master server and moved my way thru all 27 Media Servers.  They consist of Solaris8, Solaris9, Solaris10, HPUX 11.11, & Windows 2003 Server.

I use SSO, vaulting, exchange backups, & ORACLE RMAN backups.

I have a EMC CDL720 (Virtual Tape Library), a L700e with 11 9940B tape drives, and 1 8TB disk staging unit.

I really had no issues that were show stoppers.  I would say to do all the prework and double and triple check it.

As long as your existing environment is not messed up, it will work just great.

Kevin