Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question about synthetic backups

2008-02-20 12:41:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question about synthetic backups
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:19:43 -0500
You need to run a differential and then a synthetic full immediately
following.  The synthetic basically takes your last full and applies all
the differentials to it to create a new "full" image.

Full + Diff + Diff + Diff = Synthetic Full
Synthetic Full + Diff + Diff + Diff = Synthetic Full
Synthetic Full + Diff + Diff + Diff = Synthetic Full
etc...

The "Synthetic Full" is a normal full image backup according to
Netbackup and gets used in the next Synthetic Backup.  I think there are
issues with this related to deleted files (differential backups don't
realize that something got deleted so the new full will have all the
deleted files) so I would recommend "refreshing" the synthetic with an
actual full every so often.

-Jonathan