Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question about synthetic backups

2008-02-20 00:39:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question about synthetic backups
From: dbergen <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:27:03 -0800
I might be able to enlighten you some. I'm not sure the differences between
synthetics in 5.1 and 6.5 as I am only using them in 6.5.

You're close but not quite on the mark about synthetics. The point of the
synthetic is to reduce server down time, shorten the backup window and reduce
network utilization by creating NEW backups by combining the most recent FULL
with ALL Differential backups newer than that FULL. The FULL and Diffs aren't
altered in any way, you don't want them to be, you want to still be able to go
back to them if you need to. The only thing that is synthetic about the
synthetic backup is the fact that it didn't get the data directly from the
server rather it got it from two or more previous backups.

None of this helps my original question of course...