Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Speaking of NTFS:

2008-02-18 03:41:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Speaking of NTFS:
From: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
To: "Mellor, Adam A." <Adam.Mellor AT woodside.com DOT au>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:25:00 -0000
Hi,
Im sure others will reply, but my thought....

Defragmentation will happen on most file systems. Programs like
Diskeeper will do the trick, but ensure its done out of hours. To be
honest, I have not seen that much of a performance increase in backup
speeds after a defrag. I think alot depends on whether you are using
volume compression to compress the Data and how the clients are
configured for backups. also, the type of Data on the volumes. The built
in defrag sucks in my view, so consider another alternative rather than
the "Win2k / Win2k3" version.

Hosts connected to a HP EVA are all going to be sharing spindles :-) so
I would rule that out. Again, it comes down to the end client, how its
configured, whats being backed up.

We use SAN Media Servers for our large systems with volumes. It works
well.

What I would tend to do is look at your multiplexing and see if you can
alter to make use of more drives if poss. Also, verify how the backup
policy is configured for streams. For example if you have a Win2k3
System with 5 Drives, consider streaming the drives seperately or maybe
2 volumes into a single stream.

If these are LAN based clients, then you are not going to get good
throughput, especially if the volumes are fast. As a rule of thumb if it
takes approx 30 hours to backup a 500GB volume, a SAN Media Server could
(depending on the files) backup the system in say 12 - 14 hours. Again,
alot does tend to rely on compression, type of data, file size ect.

One other option to consider is Flash Backup. I am looking into this,
but not sure at this stage if it will really help my situation.

Faster disks (like the HP EVA) is a bonus. Turning off any extra I/O
like Anti-Virus during a backup WILL also help.

Just my views
Thanks, Simon