Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Speaking of NTFS:

2008-02-15 08:55:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Speaking of NTFS:
From: "Mellor, Adam A." <Adam.Mellor AT woodside.com DOT au>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:35:58 +0900
My backup systems are Solaris, I have the "luxury" of vxfs filesystems
for my staging & database areas.

I do however back up Windows file servers, Are there any guidelines to
NTFS volumes that people would recommend ?

I thinking along the lines:

        Defragmenting,
        Number of streams,
        LUN Virtulization tech,
        Volume Sizes,
        Maintaining free space,
        Snapshot methods,
        impact of ohh sooo many small files

        Performance improvements with Advanced client / Flashbackup,
        SAN Media server,
        (For the adventurous) SAN client ?

For example, i currently have pain with about a dozen windows clients,
from what i can tell

        we do not do defragmentaion
        their LUNS live on HP EVA's sharing spindles with hosts
        Free Space is minimum (~7%)
        Volumes are only ~500GB
        We backup with Multiple streams (Exceeds weekend (and daily)
backup window if we don't (Windows are large)

Currently backing up the windows dataservers is a pain point for me, I
am interested in hearing peoples learnings / Golden rules when it comes
to backing up large (over 500GB) NTFS Volumes.

Adam Mellor
Senior Unix Support Analyst
CF IT TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
Woodside Energy Ltd.