Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Ha: Re: LotusNotes backup strategy

2007-10-17 15:10:43
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Ha: Re: LotusNotes backup strategy
From: "Boris Kraizman" <sysadminzone AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Anton V Panyushkin" <APanyushkin AT beeline DOT ru>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:49:48 -0400
Hi Anton,

Thank you. But, It is not about how to optimize and tune your network to get better backup performance.
In my case, we are trying to reduce the value of the data. We do the file level backup every night over Gig networks and it completes within 6 hours for 500Gb. But, when you do it for Domino, it is every time a full system backup, even if you try to do incremental backups. Every time all nsf files have changed.  If you have the transaction log enabled on Domino, then using NetBackup add-on/advanced client for Domino, then you can run incremental backups against the transaction log. My question was, if anybody does backups using transaction logs for Domino. Also, we are going to skip Domino version 7.x and go directly to Domino 8.0. Per Symantec, no support in Netbackup with teh advanced client for Domino 8.0. Many companies are going to skip 7, and go straight to 8. So, how Symantec/Veritas is going to address this? Actually, we are going to test the transaction log and NetBackup advanced feature for Domino on the existing 6.5.4 version, and see how it performs.
If I would not meet the backup window, then  I would start looking  on tuning  my  network, servers, convert  the client to the SAN media server, and so on.

Thank you,
Boris