Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] deassign "Netbackup Media" ?

2007-10-01 15:35:11
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] deassign "Netbackup Media" ?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 19:04:28 +0000
On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:45:11AM -0400, Martin, Jonathan wrote:
> I've got a short stack of 5 media with no images on them that will not
> revert to the scratch pool / expire.  When I try to vmquery
> -deassignbyid I get the following:
>
> De-assign media by ID is not allowed for NetBackup media.
> invalid media ID (8)

You can't do that directly in 6.x

> These media are not in the "netbackup" pool or is this error assuming
> they are catalog backup tapes? (They are not.)

No.  It's saying that the volume manager thinks they are under
"netbackup" control, and that only netbackup should expire them, not the
volume manager directly.  (Apparently inappropriate use of this command
used to cause a lot of problems).

If you had assigned a tape to something other than netbackup, then
deassignbyid would function.

This is the technote on it.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/280202.htm