Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Importing tapes with same mediaid from another

2007-08-13 15:28:32
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Importing tapes with same mediaid from another
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:06:44 -0700 (PDT)
> We're running an ancient (3.4) version of Netbackup at a small remote
> site, and we need to import a handful of DLT tapes from a second remote
> 3.4 site. Unfortunately, there was no provision for unique barcode
> labels at each site, and the to-be-imported tapes have the same barcodes
> and media ids as existing (and different) LTO1 tapes in the Netbackup
> database.
>
> How (if at all) should I modify the tape import process given the
> apparent media id collision? I'm kinda hoping that netbackup will
> recognize the namespace collision and prompt me to associate a unique
> media id with the DLT tapes.

The problem is that the media ID is part of the information on the tape
header itself.  If you were able to change it, when it came to restore,
it would complain that the correct media wasn't mounted.

Can you configure an alternate (empty) netbackup installation/catalog
and import into that?

Or you could delete the conflicting media from your current installation
and import/restore it later, but I doubt I would attempt that.