Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Hardware Recommendations for new setup

2007-05-07 15:44:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Hardware Recommendations for new setup
From: jroyer at digitalmotorworks.com (Joe Royer)
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 14:44:39 -0500 (CDT)
Actually, I have noticed that most internal RAID controllers tend to be
pretty brain dead when it comes to RAID-10 (actually RAID 0+1), doing a
round-robin read down both paths which results in *slower* I/O than a
single disk (in a 4-disk RAID-10 anyway).  I actually did a head-to-head
comparison, and with 4 disks, RAID-5 is faster than RAID-10 on most
controllers.  The only exception is large, sequential writes (cache
handles everything else), and with something like the NBU catalog, your
large I/Os are reads which are always faster on RAID-5 anyway, given the
same number of disks.

So, for my backup master, I have six internal drives.  The first two are a
mirror (RAID-1) for OS.  Note:  DON'T put swap on RAID-5.  ...and the last
four are a RAID-5 for catalog.