Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Hardware Recommendations for new setup

2007-05-04 19:54:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Hardware Recommendations for new setup
From: jroyer at digitalmotorworks.com (Joe Royer)
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 18:54:10 -0500 (CDT)
You didn't specify Master OS.  For Solaris, the Sun hardware should be
fine, but I have had problems with Sun hardware not supporting Linux as
well as advertised.  I agree with Paul that the v480 is out due to poor
bus architecture.  You should consider the Sun/STK SL500.  If you are 100%
sure that you will never expand your library (don't bet on it), then the
i500 is superior, but as soon as you add the second module there's no
comparison, the SL500 is the way to go (passthru port, multiple SPsOF).
Price is competitive as soon as you get the i500 quote ;)

With LTO3, all your windows data will need to go to DSSU first, and
probably 90% of your unix data too, unless you've got four bonded GigE
connections.

I use a linux master with a (now fully loaded) SL500, I'm still on LTO2,
so I can get away with 2x2GB HBA ports for all 4 drives (redundant,
manual failover).  I have 6 drives total with the last two SAN-attached
to my NetApps for NDMP.  For DSSU, I have a FLX210 (recently EOL'ed)
SATA array that does the job.  Again, with LTO3, I'd be wary that a NAS
device could stream fast enough for DSSU because the tape drives go
faster than 1Gbit ethernet can.  You should be able to hit the minimum
speed to avoid shoe shining, but you'll eventually regret not going with
something that can actually keep up.  If you're using LTO3, you're buying
HBAs anyway, may as well get an extra for DSSU.  See Paul's comment about
not using the same bus.

I like to have a healty amount of internal disk in my backup master for
catalog and emergency DSSU space.  In case the low-end SATA array and/or
library are having issues (HBA failure).