Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Include list for NDMP

2007-04-16 08:06:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Include list for NDMP
From: gmackinn at ford.com (MacKinnon, G. R. (Gregory))
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:06:48 -0400
Len Boyle wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> We are not using NDMP, with the EMC box, but I believe that the answer
> will be the same.
>
> The main thing to remember about ndmp backups is that a netbackup
> client is not doing the backup. The EMC box is doing the backup. So
> you have to look at the rules that the EMC box imposes on the process.
> So it might have rules that define at what level you can break up the
> backup. Or it might just require that the "*" character be escaped to
> get thru the different software levels.
>
> I thought that the 1TB limit for restores was fixed a while back. You
> might want to open a ticket with symantec(aka veritas) and ask if this
> is still a problem with the level of netbackup and the EMC
> hardware/software that you are using.
>
> Also you can try a test backup and restore using the EMC software to
> see if it works at that level without netbackup in the mix. And then
> if you still have problems go back to netbackup support.
>
> len

Sorry, must be caffeine deprivation. We do an NFS backup of our Celerra,
mainly  because I don't trust/like NDMP,  and our DR site won't have a
Celerra immediately.

Don't know if it'll make a difference but you can try splitting the
filesystem
as:

set-type = tar
NEW_STREAM
/mountpoint/[a-c]*
NEW_STREAM
/mountpoint/[d-g]*
NEW_STREAM
and so on works for us.

Gregg

ps. do make sure NEW_STREAM is before the first /mountpoint/ line.
 Got bit by this when I first set it up.

Gregg MacKinnon                         Research Innovation Ctr.
gmackinn at ford.com                    2101 Village Rd.
Technical Computing Section             Room 1116, MD 1074
(313) 594-3716   pager 7958343          Dearborn Michigan, 48124