Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Somewhat OT: Copying a Windows XP hard disk with NBU

2007-04-06 17:18:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Somewhat OT: Copying a Windows XP hard disk with NBU
From: tburrell_mn at yahoo.com (Tom Burrell)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 14:18:06 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff- we have a trick we use for servers in lieu of
BMR that might work for you- but you need to be
comfortable with editing the boot.ini file to make
this work, and that can be confusing if you don't know
the code.

Make a full backup with "all_local_drives"

Replace the disk, install WinXP as usual EXCEPT: do
not put it in the "c:\Windows" directory- put it in
"c:\Win2" or something else.

Then install the NBU client to c:\NBU, and restore the
entire backup to the C drive.

Change the Boot.ini file to point to the restored
version of Windows in the C:\windows directory

Boot it up, remove the extra directories (c:\win2 and
c:\nbu) as well as the now bogus entry in the boot.ini
file and go on your merry way!

Just make sure you make NO OTHER CHANGES to the system
besides the hard drive.

Tom Burrell