Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Somewhat OT: Copying a Windows XP hard disk with NBU

2007-04-06 14:14:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Somewhat OT: Copying a Windows XP hard disk with NBU
From: jlightner at water.com (Jeff Lightner)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 14:14:36 -0400
Can it be done?

Situation:
Windows XP Pro laptop with NTFS partitions on 20 GB hard drive.
Would like to replace 20 GB with 60 GB drive and have all original
applications, documents etc... transferred.

Problem:
Windows Admins (I'm a UNIX admin) attempted to "Ghost" the system but
apparently couldn't due to the NTFS.   Some Googling about Ghost and
NTFS does seem to indicate there are issues doing that but I don't know
enough about "Ghost" to speak intelligently on that.

Possible Solution:
Backup the 20 GB drive using NBU 5.1.
Install the 60 GB drive and let them do fresh XP Pro install.
Install the NBU client.
Restore the backup from the 20 GB to the 60 GB.

It seems this might cause issues due to sizes etc... that may be stored
in system config files.   I'm wondering if the above would work or if it
would fail miserably due to this or other things I don't know about in
Windows.   I know enough about Windows to be dangerous but not enough to
insure all the registry and other information is correct for the 60 GB
drive.

If I couldn't do a full restore without mucking up the config is there
any suggestion as to partial restores that would bring in my
applications without having to reinstall each of them?