Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiplexing combined with multistreaming

2006-10-17 15:38:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiplexing combined with multistreaming
From: austin.murphy at gmail.com (Austin Murphy)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:38:21 -0400
On 10/17/06, Ashley, Brenda R Ctr 584 CBSS/GBMUAC
<Brenda.Ashley at robins.af.mil> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am having a difficult time trying to combine multiplexing with
> multistreaming to maximize my performance.

Before getting too far into a solution you need to define the problem.
  What kind of performance are you getting now?

A single LTO-2 drive easily could use up all the bandwidth available
from a single Gigabit Ethernet link.  Six LTO-2 drives getting fed
from a single GigE link will starve and shoeshine.

> Here's the scenario:
>
> I have Netbackup 5.1 MP5 installed on a Solaris 10 Sunfire 12 K server,
> which have Storedge L180 tape library attached to it using FC.
>
> 6 LTO-2 tape drives reside in L180.  I have approximately 20 clients.
> The issue is with a Windows 2003 server that has 2 disk drives C and E.
>
> I have no problem with C:\, the problem is with E:\.
>
> E:\ has about 20 shares and is about 500 gig in size.  It seems as if
> I have trial and error every possibility.

I'm not sure what kind of errors you are talking about, but you may
have some more luck by tuning the Maximum Data Streams for that
particular client.

In the Java console go to:
Host Properties --> Master Servers --> right click on the master -->
Properties --> Client Attributes

Add the name of your problematic windows 2003 system to the list and
check the box for Maximum data streams, and set the number of streams
to 1.

Apply the changes and restart your master processes.  You also have
the option to adjust how the windows open file backups are performed
through this window.  I think the same functionality is available with
the bpclient command on the master server.

You may also want to think about splitting up E: into a few different
backup jobs. Combined with tuning the Max data streams, you might be
able to get a faster or more reliable backup jobs.

Austin