Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog Question

2006-09-25 04:01:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog Question
From: simon.weaver at astrium.eads.net (WEAVER, Simon)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:01:23 +0100
I think it can depend on why you have to rebuild your system.

If we assume a COMPLETE HARDWARE FAILURE, and you have no idea what was
running at the time and you cannot access NBU in its current state, then I
would personally just rebuild the Server and restore from the last good
cataloge and any images that may have been written would be ignored by the
catalog. In essence, if any tapes were using during the weekend, the old
catalog would not know anything about them.

If the crash was a DB corruption or a problem that resulted in me having to
restore from a catalog backup, I usually take a media list report, volume
list and verify what backups run.

If applicable, restore catalog and import tapes. Alternatively, depending on
the nature of the damage I may not even do this.

If you have NO catalog, then you have to import ALL tapes that are in your
library and this would also have to include tapes off-site and in storage
sites, storage safes, ect.

In essence, all media that NetBackup knew about, must be imported again.

Does this help ?

Regards

Simon Weaver
3rd Line Technical Support