Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Licensing Question - Phys. Drives vs. Virtual Drives

2006-08-24 13:09:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Licensing Question - Phys. Drives vs. Virtual Drives
From: Robin.Small at fresno.gov (Robin Small)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:09:14 -0700
We're using something like that, an ADIC PathlightVX. It's in front of a
library with only 2 LTO-3 drives (soon to be 4).

We have 14 virtual drives configured on the PVX (12 of which are going out to 6
san media servers -- two each --, so they back themselves up across FC).

It's licensed by the TB, through a VTL license, instead of by virtual tape
drive.

I think we're only paying for the VTL licenses (8TB) -- for that portion of our
backup config, the two physical drives on the back end aren't covered, since
they don't ever touch a media/master, only our PVX.

Hope that made sense..

~ Robin

>>> "Koster, Phil" <pkoster at ci.grand-rapids.mi.us> 08/24/06 8:41 AM >>>
We got bids in for new back up solutions and one of them proposes 16
virtual tape drives but only 4 physical LTO- 3 drives.  Does anyone know
off the top of their head how that would work?  (Would we need 16 tape
drive licenses to go along with all the clients etc?).

There would not be any addition of media servers or clients.  The
proposal is basically a proprietary SAN set up that has up to 32 VTD
emulation channels to interface with NBU, NBU would not be able to use
it as a DSSU, and NBU will not have direct access to the LTO- 3?s, only
the VTDs.

Thanks.

Phil Koster

Network Administrator