Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Licensing Question - Phys. Drives vs. Virtual Drives

2006-08-24 13:29:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Licensing Question - Phys. Drives vs. Virtual Drives
From: pkoster at ci.grand-rapids.mi.us ("Koster, Phil")
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:29:37 -0400
That makes sense.

So you just license the TB of storage the device has (the one providing the
VTL; in your case the PathlightVX)?

The proposal we got for this was a Sun/StorageTEK solution that involved a
VTA-1000 from Peak Data with 5TB of "cache" and an IBM SL500 with 4 LTO-3's on
the backend.  I'm not terribly impressed by their proposal overall but if we
want to purchase a different solution we have to be able to shoot them down in
front of the City Commission (I hate working for local government) because they
are the cheapest by like $150K.  One of senior managers is looking heavily to
me for the license answers (aside of the usual technical recommendation) but I
don't have direct access to our approved vendors.

Do you by chance know what they call that license?  I tried looking on
Symantec's web site and they do not actually list any NBU licensing
requirements with any useful detail.  Just the "Agents and Options".

Thanks.  Huge help (unlike Symantec's web site).

Phil
456-3136