Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Checkpoint Restart

2006-06-12 17:33:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Checkpoint Restart
From: wts at maine.edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:33:00 -0400
My experience matches your understanding.

My limited experience with large large backups has led me to avoid them
where possible!

In case you think I'm an idiot, you're not wrong, but maybe the advice
can be helpful to a few ...

I'll give 3 examples from recent activities in my own shop:

  * I had a mail server with 250+GB in 15+M files.  It took 60+ hours
for a full backup.  It turns out that its data is spread over many file
systems.  I turned on "allow multiple streams" and the total backup time
was reduced to about 12 hours (It will be substantially better than that
if I'm able to split two of the larger file systems).

  * I have a development system that had 300+GB of data in dozens of
Oracle DBs.  Full and incremental backups are similar in size and very
long in duration.  Many of the DBs are also backed up with the NetBackup
for Oracle agent.   Backups are being brought under control by "allow
multiple streams", as well as excluding the Oracle DB files from file
system backups.

  * Less successful ...  with one large file server (large because it's
currently at the end of a relatively slow pipe), I've carved up the file
system using multiple policies and exclude files so each policy exists
for a part of the data (make sure one policy is "all the rest" or you'll
get killed by new data/structure).  This works, but is, IMHO, too
unwieldy to recommend.  In this case, if I had a fast pipe or backup
storage close to the client, the file systems would no longer be "large"!

I still like the IBM TSM model of backing up a file exactly once,
eliminating all this full-backup nonsense.  (Of course, back on the
backup server you shuffle files around as much as you can to maintain
good restore times).

Hope this helps!   cheers, wayne