Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

2006-04-21 04:28:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:28:00 +0100
You must mean something other than FCP attached SAN disk, as they appear
as plain normal disks on Windows servers and definitely are picked up by
ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES.   Are you using iSCSI, or NAS disks?  If NAS then you
will need to 'cross mount points', as most backup products assume you
would backup the data on the file server, not the client.  I don't know
how iSCSI behaves, but I had thought it too was presented by the OS as a
local disk.

You should not need extra policies.

William D L Brown

"Mansell, Richard" <Richard.Mansell AT ccc.govt DOT nz>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
21-Apr-2006 02:31

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

Hi, we have a number of Windows servers that have SAN attached disk
drives. The ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive does not back up these drives so I
assume we have to explicitly include them in a policy (we don't have the
SAN media server option).

The documentation (6.0) for ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES says that it must be the only
entry in the backup selections list. Do you therefore need one policy for
the local drives and one for the SAN attached drives?

We had hoped to have a minimal number of policies so what does everyone
else do in this situation?

Regards

Richard

This electronic email and any files transmitted with it are intended

The views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the Christchurch
City Council.

If you are not the correct recipient of this email please advise the
sender and delete.

Christchurch City Council
http://www.ccc.govt.nz