Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] If you couldn't have NetBackup, what would you pick?

2006-02-21 02:13:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] If you couldn't have NetBackup, what would you pick?
From: simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net (WEAVER, Simon)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:13:32 -0000
We introduced Netbackup to the Business in 2002 (3.4 version) and was
running on NT
Prior to this, we used OmniBack but reliability was causing an issue, so
switched.

To be truthful, the biggest expense was the software and hardware for NBU to
run as fast as possible.

Several years later, we run 5.1 and may look at going to v6 soon but again,
my biggest gripe is the cost.

The other alternative backup solution we have to replace OmniBack is called
"DataProtector" and seems to work well, and apparantly A LOT more cheaper!

For Exchange, Brightstore is used (I think this was ArcServe in the olden
days). Eventually Exchange will move to Netbackup!

Not being a full blown NBU Admin, there is A LOT TO this product! All I want
is a simple program that says "backup this client" and "off you go".

Netbackup does this and more, but just seems too pricey in my view!

Simon Weaver
Technical Support
Windows Domain Administrator

EADS Astrium
Tel: 02392-708598

Email: Simon.Weaver AT Astrium.eads DOT net