Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape Reclaimation

2006-01-26 13:09:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape Reclaimation
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:09:31 -0600
* Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com <Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com> [2006-01-26
09:05]:
> Your only way to do this is to duplicate the images from partially filled
> tapes to a consolidated pool, then delete the original images.
>
> I suppose you could automate this so that it's TSM-like.
>
> However, since Netbackup, by default, only groups like retentions on a tape,
> all images on a tape should expire at roughly the same, eliminating the need
> to consolidate.

That doesn't really hold up, though. if you have a tape with a 1 year
retention on it, and write a backup to it every week, the only way you
will get it back is if it fills up completely so that nothing else can
write to it.  You have to remember that NetBackup does not use space on
the tape that been vacated by earlier images until ALL images have
expired.  Plus, just because the default is to group same retention
doesn't mean that you _can't_ mix retentions.  If you change the
retention of ONE of the images to a longer retention, the tape won't be
reclaimed until that one image expires.

--
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com