Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tier_1 vs Tier_2

2005-01-19 19:30:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tier_1 vs Tier_2
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:30:24 -0600
On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 02:43:07PM -0800, Nardello, John wrote:
> Careful....the licenses to back up a client are not Tiered. Only
> licenses you install on a Master/Media server of some kind have Tiers
> - and only some of those. =)
>
> Example environment:
>       HP rp7420 Media Server w/3 attached drives from an L700.
>       Backs up 30 UNIX servers across the LAN.
>       Backs up 10 Windows servers across the LAN.
>       Backs up the Administrator's laptop across the LAN. =)
>
> Licenses required for example:
>       one UNIX media server license, Tier 3
>       one Library Based Tape Drive license for three drives (no Tier)
>       forty "Protect Server" licenses (no Tier)
>       one "Protect workstation" license (no Tier)

They must do things different down under - that's not the way it's
licensed in the US.  Here we would need a master server license, a
media server license (if that rp7420 is a separate server) and 41 client
licenses in a tier appropriate to the size of the client (frequently
based on the number of cpus in the system).  You also need licenses for
the number of tape drives. A base license includes some tape drives but
I can't remember how many (2 or 4 I think).

> Wasn't sure if that's what you meant but thought I'd clarify for
> everyone else. The UNIX Tier levels are based on the class of the
> server instead of CPUs.

That depends too.  With Linux client licenses, it depends on the number
of CPUs in the box.  I can't remember off the of my head on the HPUX
licenses.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org