Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tier_1 vs Tier_2

2005-01-19 17:43:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tier_1 vs Tier_2
From: John.Nardello AT T-Mobile DOT com (Nardello, John)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:43:07 -0800
Careful....the licenses to back up a client are not Tiered. Only licenses you
install on a Master/Media server of some kind have Tiers - and only some of
those. =)

Example environment:
        HP rp7420 Media Server w/3 attached drives from an L700.
        Backs up 30 UNIX servers across the LAN.
        Backs up 10 Windows servers across the LAN.
        Backs up the Administrator's laptop across the LAN. =)

Licenses required for example:
        one UNIX media server license, Tier 3
        one Library Based Tape Drive license for three drives (no Tier)
        forty "Protect Server" licenses (no Tier)
        one "Protect workstation" license (no Tier)

Wasn't sure if that's what you meant but thought I'd clarify for everyone else.
The UNIX Tier levels are based on the class of the server instead of CPUs.

As an additional tidbit, we've been told that as of early December virtual
libraries are licensed based on the total size of the library not the number of
virtual drives you create with it.

John Nardello
T-Mobile: Enterprise Systems Backup Group Technical Lead
"Your backups are only as good as your restores."