Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] User vs Scheduled backups

2004-10-20 17:32:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] User vs Scheduled backups
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:32:03 -0500
On 10/20/04 13:58, Deiter Scott wrote:

> I have been told that there are disadvantages to using bpbackup over
>  the veritas schedule.  What is the good/bad that happens when you
> give up the schedule for bpbackup?

The biggest disadvantages to rolling out your own scheduler is that you
are now responsible for making sure that there are tape drives
available, and you must handle any and all failure scenarios.  If you
let NetBackup worry about failures, retries happen automatically based
on a scheduled that you've already defined.

We've done some of our scheduling with NetBackup and with other backup
products, and frankly, it just sucks.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org