Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] User vs Scheduled backups

2004-10-20 14:58:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] User vs Scheduled backups
From: scottd AT HanoverDirect DOT com (Deiter Scott)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:58:10 -0400
netbackup 4.5
Solaris 9 master/media server with other solaris and windows clients

Our weekly fulls on our data ware house has been done manually by the
operators.
Pushing the buttons on the admin console.

We want to automate this and have found only two options.

        use the bpbackup command in a script called by our site job
scheduler
        or
        code up the bpstart_notify script on the client( lots of logic)

        I was hoping for a third but nothing has come to mind.

        I have been told that there are disadvantages to using bpbackup over
the
        veritas schedule.  What is the good/bad that happens when you give
up
        the schedule for bpbackup?  The only thing that I have been able to
find
        is that the file list must be dynamically created at backup time, or

        use the bpbackup command on the master server with the -i option.

>From    Scott Deiter
        Hanover Direct, Inc.
        Tech services
        (717) 633-3298