Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] help upgrading NBU 4.5GA to 4.5 MP6

2004-08-06 05:06:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] help upgrading NBU 4.5GA to 4.5 MP6
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:06:40 +0100
Shirley Palma wrote:

> i recently upgraded from 3.4 (i know! wtf!) to 4.5GA. wanting to get
> the install as up-to-date as possible, i decided to install MP6 - but
> it turned out to be a fiasco-reeno.
>
> i'm re-installing 4.5GA because what's left is a mess - i just wanted
> to know, have i gone and skipped a crucial step by going from base to
> the lastest maintenace pack (i saw in some of the docs that a certain
> installer is needed) but i assumed that comes with the maintenace pack.
>
> has anyone installed MP6 on a 4.5GA? is it supposed to be a completely
> new install/version of NBU DataCenter instead of just a patch of sorts
> for 4.5 (which is what i assumed)?
>
> i'm confused. once i had 'installed' MP6 bpadm and a few crucial
> binaries disappeared. so i know there's something seriously wrong. the
> setup:
>
> solaris 2.8 master/media
> solaris 2.8 media
>
> both ultra2 boxen
>
> any smacks in the right direction would be appreciated!
>
> -sp

I have just upgraded from 3.2 to 5.0mp2 through the various steps.
 From 3.4 to 4.5FP6 i did it in one go.

i saved all the device info away tpconfig -d and sgscan and all relevent
confs etc. I also did a backup of the databases to a -dpath away from
/opt/openv.

Then stop netbackup
run pkrm  SUNWnetbp SUNWmmgr  and the critical bit is when it says "are
you doing this as part of an upgrade" to which you need to say Y (yes).

Then i just ran ./install from the base tree of my 4.5FP6 image id burnt
to cd.
I said yes to conflicting changes and everything seemed to be ok.

The only problem i did find was because i had also done a machine rename
this upgrade had changed vm.conf server enttry back to the old name,
which was strange but that was all.

Hope this helps a little.
Dave
Solaris 8 media/master