Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media errors and Unexpected EOF on AIT2 and Unexpected EOF

2004-07-15 16:46:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media errors and Unexpected EOF on AIT2 and Unexpected EOF
From: rayveritas AT corp.idt DOT net (Ray Esperanzate)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:46:07 -0400
Hello, this is my first post on this list, so please bear with me.  Below is
the way my environment is configured:

Master: Solaris8 NB4.5 FP7
Media: Win2kSP4 NB4.5 FP7
Media: Solaris8 NB4.5 FP7

All attached via SAN (SSO) to ADIC scalar 1000 with 10 x AIT2 drives.

Lately we've been getting some media read errors (error 85/86) and ADIC came
in and found everything to be running ok with the library/drives.  Just to
be prudent, I ran bpverify on the images that were taken from the night
before and got a few of these errors (from different clients, this is just
an example):

19:05:26 INF - from host dynamo, ERR - Unexpected EOF reading image. The
image information is not complete.
19:05:26 INF - Verify of policy exchange-mailboxes, schedule exchange-pm
(ex01_1089779684) failed, tar had an unexpected error.

Now what scares me is that if there are media errors, netbackup complains
and gives me error 85/86.  In the case above, the backup finished with a
status 0, meaning it completed without error.  Because there is no error, I
am assuming that everything went fine, but that is not so.

I called veritas and sent them logs,etc. and they came back saying that we
are running in an unsupported config in that my drives have firmware v. 200
and the supported one is v.204 .  I called ADIC and they said we are on the
latest one for my unit.  Veritas says that they can't help until that is
resolved.  What do I do ???  And has anyone seen these issues before ?