Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Standard Backup Frequency and Retention Guidelines?

2004-04-05 14:32:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Standard Backup Frequency and Retention Guidelines?
From: gary.andresen AT pnwdata DOT com (Gary Andresen)
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 11:32:37 -0700
Good luck finding any documented "industry standards" for frequency and
retention periods. This discussion has been around for years, anybody use
the 'tower of Hanoi' backup tape rotation scheme? Most folks use the
Grandfather-father-son scheme for their backup method.

It's difficult to have a standard because even businesses in the same
industry have different requirements on when data is backed up and how long
they need to keep older data. Some data will have legal requirements on
retention periods so it is easy to set up policies for that. Every thing
else is based on the data recovery service level agreements (verbal or
documented.) Policies on backup frequency and retention should be based off
the requirements the business has on data recovery.

Gary Andresen
Impossible Happens, Plan Ahead
Pacific Northwest Data Inc.
Tel: 503.701.5185