Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] status code 50

2004-01-21 12:59:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] status code 50
From: gmackinn AT ford DOT com (MacKinnon, G. R. (Gregory))
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:59:46 -0500
Griese, Paul wrote:

> NBU 4.5 MP3 on Solaris Master, Solaris 8, Ultra-4, running about 370
> active policies; catalog DB is about 64 GB and hasn't been compressed
> lately. We have many Solaris, NT and VMS clients. A bunch of the
> clients are on a SAN. We save about 4.5 to 5.2 TB a day and we use 4
> L700 robots.
>
> Everything was running great. We went 34 days with uninterrupted
> Netbackup service at the end of the year - a record for us - we did
> not have to do any Netbackup bounces. Now everything has gone to heck.
> We can't go two days without many jobs dying with status code 50,
> always in the early morning hours, and it usually happens
> every morning. Rarely do we have a day free of these status 50 aborted
> jobs. After a few days of this, things deteriorate to the point where
> jobs just hang, can not be killed, and we wind-up having to bounce
> Netbackup.  We have tried rescheduling jobs so that there are not so
> many running between midnight and 6AM, but it doesn't seem to help. We
> are actually more busy after 6AM but we don't get this rash of code
> 50s after 6AM. We have added a few more active policies in the past
> month, but we have also purged some data off of some other clients
> which has made their backup jobs run for a shorter period of time.
>
> Veritas has been little help. They have told us three different
> things: 1). Try running two Masters; 2). move your Master to a more
> powerful SUN box; 3). install MP5. They seem to imply that we have
> overloaded our SUN box Master, but the uptime and top commands don't
> show excessive load on CPU or memory.
>
> We are going to try installing MP5. The release notes mention error
> code 50, but it relates to "queued vault job receives a status 50"
> which is not exactly our problem. We run Vault in the afternoon
> and they do not have the status 50 problem. The problem resides with
> our nornal backups, not Vault.
>
> So, has anybody had an experience like this? Did MP5 help? Is an
> Ultra-4 not powerful enough for our environment?
>

> Paul Griese
> System Management
> 713-331-6454

> (c) 2003 TeleCheck International, Inc. THIS DOCUMENT, AND ANY ATTACHED
> INFORMATION: 1) IS PROPRIETARY, PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL PROPERTY
> OF TELECHECK UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, AND 2) IS INTENDED EXCLUSIVELY FOR
> INTERNAL USE BY TELECHECK EMPLOYEES AND INTENDED RECIPIENTS WITH A
> LEGITIMATE TELECHECK BUSINESS NEED THEREFORE. ITS REPRODUCTION,
> DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION AND/OR DISCLOSURE, EXCEPT TO SUCH
> TELECHECK EMPLOYEES AND INTENDED RECIPIENTS, IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED .
> IF YOU ARE NOT SUCH A TELECHECK EMPLOYEE OR INTENDED RECIPIENT, OR THE
> EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING THIS MESSAGE TO THE
> INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY REPRODUCTION,
> DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION AND/OR DISCLOSURE OF THIS DOCUMENT, OR ANY
> ATTACHMENTS, IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Are you using SSO with more than 1 media server having access
to the tape drives? If so you might have to do a Synchronize
Global Device Database on the media servers. Don't know why
it happens, but that seems to fix our '50' problem.

Gregg

Gregg MacKinnon                         Ford Motor Co.
gmackinn AT ford DOT com                        2101 Village Rd.
Technical Computing Section             Rm 1116, MD 1076
(313) 594-3716   pager 7958343          Dearborn Michigan, 48124