Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master server sizing requirements

2003-08-08 02:19:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master server sizing requirements
From: marijan AT defcen.gov DOT au (Marijan Rupcic)
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 16:19:04 +1000
Kate

We use a Sun V880 with 4 processors and 4GB memory, with 1 Gigabit
network interface, writing to 3590 tape drives in an IBM 3494.

When it's fully loaded, we're getting 70-80 MB/s peak backup data coming
from clients over the network, with total 85-90% cpu utilization.

If you're going to fully use 1 Gb network interface on a Sun server, I
would recommend the 4 processors to cope with the network traffic and
writing to fast tape drives.

Marijan