Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Looking to backup data to Disk vs. Tape

2003-05-22 08:49:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Looking to backup data to Disk vs. Tape
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 06:49:40 -0600
I've been backing up to disk for a while.  The disk storage unit shares the
single master/media server that services my entire environment.  You don't
need a special media server for this purpose but the media server has to
have access to the disk, DAS, SAN, NAS or similar.

I use to for the frequent small backups that I do for my Oracle archived
redo logs.  I have a script that wakes every four hours to duplicate the
images from disk to tape, then expires the disk copy.  This aggregates my
small backups & minimizes tape movement & delay.

The only problem I've had is that tape drives compress automatically while
disks do not.  Client-side compression isn't that good & loads the CPU too
much to use.  The images on disk, therefore, are full-sized.

HTH - M