Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Getting NetBackup to see slots in an expanded Scalar 10K?

2003-02-26 20:40:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Getting NetBackup to see slots in an expanded Scalar 10K?
From: vaxzilla AT jarai DOT org (Brian Chase)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:40:42 -0800 (PDT)
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, W. Curtis Preston wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Brian Chase wrote:

> > I recently unlocked another 600 storage slots in our S10K. The
> > library itself sees the additional slots, but my NetBackup server
> > (running under Solaris)  fails to recognise them. When I run a Robot
> > Inventory Report to show the robot contents, the listing only shows
> > the previous number of slots.
> >
> > I'm presuming that stopping and restarting the NetBackup servers,
> > or at least the media manager daemon, will remedy this.  However,
> > I'm hoping there's some other way to accomplish this without
> > interrupting my very busy master/media server.
>
> The answer is actually worse than you are supposing.  You will need to
> delete your robot configuration and add it back.  It only queries the
> library for that information when the robot is being configured.  You
> won't need to add/delete all of your drives, though.  You'll just need
> to add them back to the library after you remake the library.
>
> This is a pretty uncommon question.  I would check my answer.  I know
> of no way of changing the number of slots after it's been configured.
> There may be a way to hack it via NBU, but I don't know it.

Well, for what it's worth, all I had to do was stop and restart the
Media Manager Volume daemon; this caused the extra slots to show up.
There was finally a break in the activity on my S10K just a short while
ago so I was able to try this.

Anyway, the various ADIC S10K users out there should be happy to know
that it's not too painful to make use of the "Storage On Demand"
features of the library in conjunction with NetBackup.

-brian.