Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Omniback vrs NetBackup

2003-02-20 11:20:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Omniback vrs NetBackup
From: jason.cordes AT letigre DOT com (jason.cordes AT letigre DOT com)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:20:35 -0600
I've been configuring NBU for 2 years and just started working with
Omniback....now Data Protector. I gotta tell ya....I like Data Protector. I
has pretty much the same functions as NBU for considerably less money, I
really like that they charge by how many tape drives you use and are allowed
unlimited clients. You can do SSO although it's not called that, you can do
multiplexing and multistreaming although it's also not called that ;).

The only things I do not like about Data Protector is the GUI layout, I'm
very partial to NBU 4.5's GUI layout, it's much cleaner and easier to read.
I also do not like that you really do not have a view of what tape is loaded
in what drive in Data Protector. I haven't played with it yet but it appears
that vaulting is much better done in NBU as well, you can still do multiple
copies of your backups in Data Protector but its not as well done as it is
in NBU.

I think for small to mid sized setups Data Protector is the preferred
package, but personally I would still be very partial to NBU for any large
installation.

Jason Cordes
LeTigre Computing
713.681.8844