Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Sizing the Master

2002-03-29 17:22:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Sizing the Master
From: Fabbro.Andrew AT cnf DOT com (Fabbro, Andrew P)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:22:37 -0800
We at present have a Sun E450 as a master/media server + 2 more E450s as
media servers.  All are 4-procs with 2GB of RAM, with a single gigabit
ethernet attachment to a private LAN.  We're servicing 170-odd clients
driving DLT.

We're going to split the master off to a separate server and have 3 media
servers as E450s driving LTO.  I'm curious what the size of the master needs
to be.  Assuming fast disks and lots of RAM (probably take it to 4GB), with
a NetBackup database that's about 65GB, what is the minimum I should look
for in a (Sun-based) master?  The master is also the NB Advanced Reporter
server.

If it's not driving any backups (it'll just have an hundred megabit
connection to the backup LAN for NetBackup Master duties), do I need a
4-proc box?  Would something like an 220R be sufficient?  What experiences
have you had in sizing your master?

Thanks,

--
Drew Fabbro