Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Robotic dismount failures

2002-02-12 15:49:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Robotic dismount failures
From: dayalsd AT lycos DOT com (dayal singh)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:49:22 -0600
 I am not really sure whether it's being caused due drive cleaning (It's
possible). We do frequency based cleaning through netbackup. Auto clean is off
on the robot.

Regular backup tapes are getting stuck in the drives causing the drives to go
down. Now I got to manually unload and bring them up.

Thanx

Dayal
--

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:12:55
 Sokolowski Ric-ERS004 wrote:
>We have the same library/drive combination.  Are there tapes in the drives when
>they get downed?  Are you using library-controlled cleaning?  The scenario
>I've seen
>(and which has been reported by StorageTek - manufacturer of the 20/700
>library) is
>as follows:
> - tape drive signals that it needs cleaning
> - the library notices the "clean me" signal and schedules cleaning at first
> opportunity
> - library places cleaning tape into empty, dirty drive w/o notifying NetBackup
> - NetBackup attempts to place a regular tape into the now occupied drive
> - drive immediately gets downed due to unknown tape in the drive
> - when cleaning is complete, library removes cleaning tape and you're stuck
>   with a down drive
>
>Check this entry for an excellent discussion of the problem:
>
>http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/pipermail/veritas-bu/2001-February/002550.html
>
>TapeAlert mentioned in this article is supposed to be "fixed" in NB 3.4 but I
>cannot
>verify this as we're still at 3.2.  There is also a script available which ups
>downed
>drives automatically.  See:
>
>http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/pipermail/veritas-bu/2002-January/007278.html
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Ric Sokolowski (Ric.Sokolowski AT motorola DOT com)
>Staff Systems Engineer
>Phone: (954) 723-6332  Pager: 8776050503 AT skytel DOT com
>Motorola, Inc.  / CGISS / Enterprise Computing
>8000 West Sunrise Blvd, MS 22-2F, Plantation, FL 33322

Go Get It!
Send FREE Valentine eCards with Lycos Greetings
http://greetings.lycos.com