Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] painfully slow restores

2001-07-30 20:29:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] painfully slow restores
From: mpreston AT station.sony DOT com (Preston, Mark)
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:29:30 -0700
Hi,

we have the following config:

netbackup datacenter running on an E250 with solaris7
EMC celerra file server
ADIC scalar 100 tape silo

the ADIC is connected to the EMC and we do NDMP based backups of the EMC
filer onto the silo.

The issue we have is this, a full backup typically spans 10 DLT tapes and
when attempting to restore a single file from the full backup the restore
INSISTS on scanning all 10 tapes.

The EMC client is configured as an NDMP client, the storage unit is of type
NDMP so the fragement size and MPX are both greyed out. And in the backup
class this is the only client listed. 'allow multiple datastreams' is
unchecked, and under the files tab just /projects is listed.

When I go to do a restore I am able to drill down in the index information
to the exact file and date that I want (so index information is being
logged) but shouldn't netbackup know which files are on which tapes? and
when restoring shouldn't it only require those tapes? Right now a restore of
a single file can take upwards of 8 hours....

Thanks,

- Mark