Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Disaster Recovery Practices

2001-07-23 12:09:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Disaster Recovery Practices
From: bryer AT sfu DOT ca (Jeff Bryer)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:09:38 -0700 (PDT)
>Assumes a Sun box

>I am trying to streamline the restoration process
>but need more detailed
>info. How are people recovering from catastrophic
>system failures now?

What we are doing is to use a second machine to build the system
disk on.  We add the new disk to an E450, do an alternate location
restore, installboot, and put the disk into the server that lost its
disk and boot.  We have a spare Sparc20 to handle those disks as well.

We came into NetBackup from a BudTool environment where system restores
are really easy (boot from cdrom, do a ufsrestore from a remote device),
so this was the simplest strategy we came up with for NetBackup.

And if we lose all our machines, we have a ufsdump tape of our NetBackup
master server (an E450).  We shouldn't need to do an NB client install.

--
Jeff Bryer                              bryer AT sfu DOT ca
Systems Administrator                   (604) 291-4935