Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] vmquery Vs bpmedialist

2001-07-10 12:50:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] vmquery Vs bpmedialist
From: curtis AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:50:23 -0700
Good question!

vmquery date - date that TAPE expires  (i.e. should be thrown away)
bpmedialist - date the DATA on the tape expires (i.e. can be overwritten)

This has been discussed often, but I don't believe in using the vmquery
date at all.  Under normal use, most modern tapes (anything since DLT) have
pass ratings of well beyond 10,000.  You'll never hit that number.  Even if
you did, the DATE would have nothing to do with it.

Just one man's opinion.  (Puts down the open can of worms...)