Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Expiration options

2001-06-27 12:12:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Expiration options
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:12:21 -0700 (PDT)
Once you make your change to tpconfig on all media
servers to point to the new VOLUME DATABASE HOST (the
master server), the original VOLUME DATABASE (vsnDB if
you are using 3.4 or volDB pre-3.4) will not be access
for anything.

You do not risk overwriting your db when you do an
inventory.  The only reason I said to mv the original
dbs to other names was so you had TWO backups of your
DBs.

The main reason for moving all media to standalone is
to eliminate any unexplained peculiarities that the
other way would sometime exploit.

Once you do this, you'll find how benign it really is.

When are you planning on doing this?

Please let me know how it goes.

David

PS. I hope I addressed you question.

Quoting "Jones, Peter"
<Peter.Jones AT yourcommunications.co DOT uk>:

> Thanks for all your comments.
>
> Looking at the procedure that you sent to me (David),
do I need to move a
> copy of volDB from the media server to the master
server as when I perform
> robot inventory will it not be overwritten?
> The procedure I'm planning on doing so far is:
>
> Backup netbackup databases
> Move all media to standalone
> Stop media manager daemons on all servers
> Use tpconfig on all servers to point to new volume
database host
> Move volDB on media server sideways
> Start media manager daemons on all server
> Perform robot inventory
> Test backup and restore
>
> Regards
> Peter Jones

commands.com]
> Sent: 27 June 2001 16:22
> To: RYAN ANDERSON
> Cc: Jeff Kennedy; Veritas-bu List
> Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Expiration options
>

> But the database info will be purged.
>
> Sounds like a good feature.
>
> David
>
> Quoting RYAN ANDERSON <RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com>:
>
> > As long as you don't reuse the tape(s) and they are
> expired, you can use
> > bpimport to bring the images on the tapes back in.
> >
> > RCA
> >
> > Jeff Kennedy wrote:
> > >
> > > I am wondering about the way images are expired
and
> what my options
> > > are.  Currently I have my expiration for all
images
> set to 6 weeks,
> > > which means every 6 weeks the image database info
> is purged and that
> > > tape is now ready to be re-used, correct?  I
think
> it is so I'll
> > > continue on that assumption.
> > >
> > > What I would like to see is what was available in
> BudTool.  You could
> > > set the time that the image was not over-
writable,
> say 6 weeks, but the
> > > image data would stay in the database until it
was
> actually
> > > overwritten.  So, I could set an image to be
locked
> for 6 weeks, but if
> > > the tape had not been written to, and it was week
> 8, you could still
> > > browse the image data.
> > >
> > > Does such an option exist in NetBackup?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > > --
> > > =====================
> > > Jeff Kennedy
> > > Unix Administrator
> > > AMCC
> > > jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com
> >
> > --
> > Ryan C. Anderson       | United Defense L.P.
> > ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com | pager 952.235.9936
> bu
> >

> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> David A. Chapa
> Consulting Manager
> DataStaff, Inc.
> 847 413 1144
> http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
bu

****************
> Your Communications Ltd
> Hathersage Road
> Chorlton-on-Medlock
> Manchester  M13 0EH
>
> Switchboard number : 0161 609 7000.
>
> The information contained in this e-mail is intended
only for the
> individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain
privileged and
> confidential information. If you have received this
message in
> error or there are any problems, please notify the
sender
> immediately and delete the message from your
computer. The
> unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration
of this
> message is forbidden. Your Communications Limited
will not be
> liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential
damage as a result
> of any virus being passed on, or arising from
alteration of the
> contents of this message by a third party.
>
> Your Communications Limited (England and Wales No.
3842309)
> registered office Dawson House, Great Sankey,
Warrington, WA5 3LW

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting