Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] HSM like features

2001-03-22 11:41:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] HSM like features
From: David A. Chapa" <david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:41:51 -0800 (PST)
I'm not sure of what they are ultimately wanting, but
without using HSM you could do as you described.  Then
I would run bpduplicate to duplicate those images on
disk to a tape storage unit (which I'm fairly certain
you can do).  If the disk is only to be used
temporarily, then you'd want to expires those imags on
disk after the duplication and then change the new
primary copy to 2 for restoration purposes.

With HSM,  you could use it to migrate those images
stored on the Disk storage unit to tape.  the only
problem there is for restores.  You'd have to demigrate
then do the restore.  Whereas in the first example your
restores would come right from tape.

just a thought.

david

Quoting "Buck, Robert M"
<BuckRM AT northamerica.stortek DOT com>:

> I have a customer that is currently using NBU and
backing up directly to
> STK
> tape drives in STK silos. They now want to backup to
disk first and at some
> later time move that data to tape. What is the
cleanest way to do that. I
> know Veritas has a HSM utility but I have never seen
it. Is that the best
> way to go? Are there other options? Could you just
make a "disk" storage
> unit" and backup to that first then backup to tape as
a different SU next?
> Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. The
shop is a open systems