Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas Oracle backup solution: BLIB versus RMAN - Please help!!!

2001-03-07 08:47:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Oracle backup solution: BLIB versus RMAN - Please help!!!
From: s.pabbatireddy AT ieee DOT org s.pabbatireddy AT ieee DOT org
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 08:47:20 -0500
All:

I posted a message earlier on this topic, but unfortunately haven't
received any responses from the group. Trying again!!

We have purchased netbackup 3.4 as our enterprise backup solution. Now we
are planning to rollout the solution for oracle databases. Now we are
debating between BLIB versus RMAN, and need your help in comparing both of
this approaches.

Our environment:
- Oracle database versions 7.3.4/8.0.5 on hp-ux 10.20
- Oracle database version 8.1.6/8.1.7 on hp-ux 11.0
- OLTP and Dataware house environment
- master server NT
- Media server NT
- Netbackup 3.4

Our Goal (in the order of priority):
- Our online application performance should not be impacted by the backup
solution
- Optimal backup/recovery performance

I am looking for answers to the following questions:
1. Does BLIB degrade online application performance to maintain the
modified blocks through storage check point. If so, how much?
2. We refresh around 30G data to our datawarehouse environment by-weekly.
Is the BLIB a right solution for the databases with massive data changes?
3. How much additional disk space is needed to go with the BLIB solution.
Our environment is very dynamic, some times we see 50MB log switches every
2 minutes.
4. How can we compare the backup/recovery performance between BLIB and
RMAN/EBU. ( I have seen, RMAN is optimal for fullbackups). If you have any
bench mark numbers, it will help us a great deal.
5. Is BLIB supported for HP-UX 10.20 environment with oracle 7.3.4, 8.0.5
with netbackp 3.4?
6. If RMAN is used, where does all the information required for recovery is
stored (in the RMAN catalog or master server catalog)?

Your input and help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sudheer
Sudheer Pabbatireddy
Manager, Database Systems