Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup using more than one tape drive.

2001-02-15 10:58:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup using more than one tape drive.
From: Scott Kendall Scott.Kendall AT ln.ssw.abbott DOT com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:58:05 -0600
You didn't actually tell RMAN to use 5 tape drives.

Within RMAN you "allocate" a certain number of "channels" to be used for the
backup.  You give the channel a set of parameters to work within.  For
example, you might tell RMAN to use 5 channels and that each channel can be
no larger than 5 GB or contain more than 64 files.  When one of those 5
finishes, another will be created in it's place until everything that RMAN
was trying to backup has been completed.  Each one of these channels appears
as a separate job within NetBackup (e.g. different backup_id, job id within
Activity Monitor, etc.).  The file list for the backup job will contain a
single file with a unique name that was assigned to the channel by RMAN.

RMAN doesn't know or care about what NetBackup is doing with these jobs.  For
instance, you could have all 5 mux to the same tape drive or you could have
each one go to a different tape drive and RMAN doesn't know the difference.
RMAN keeps track of the file name it used for the channel and what Oracle
files are in this file.  NetBackup keeps track of where it put this file
(e.g. media id, mux, media server, etc.).

As others pointed out, what NetBackup does with this is controlled by the
combination of many things.
- max jobs per client (global attrib)
- max jobs per class
- schedule's media mux value (per drive)
- storage unit's max mux per drive
- retention of the job (unless you have allowed multiple retentions per
media... not recommended)

The "Allow Multiple Data Streams" option is not available in an Oracle type
class because it is not needed.  If you are doing cold backups outside of
RMAN (if you are using RMAN for "hots", I would also use it for the "colds")
with a standard class, this is what allows multiple streams from the client
at the same time.  Again, what NetBackup does with those streams (whether it
puts it on the same tape or different tapes) depends on the settings
mentioned above.

Scott Kendall
Hospital Products Division
Abbott Laboratories

 ecarr AT qwest DOT com
 Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT Eng.Auburn DOT EDU
 02/13/2001 01:36 PM